Metro Rail is free above ground. Proof-of-payment is needed to travel underground. Fare is $2. Proof-of-payment can be a valid: Metro Rail ticket, Metro Monthly Pass, Metro Day Pass or Proof-of-Fare ticket Tickets and
passes are available at all rail stations.
Click here to view the Rail Map
Metro Rail features self-service fare collection. That means that there are no turnstiles or ticket agents. However, you MUST carry proof that you have paid your fare.
You may be eligible for reduced fares.
Check Metro's Reduce Fare Application page.
Choose the boarding platform that offers the direction you want. Trains boarding
from the INBOUND TO ERIE CANAL HARBOR platform head south, toward downtown.
Trains boarding from the OUTBOUND TO UNIVERSITY platform head north, away
Choose your destination, watch for the signs and listen to the announcements. Every train stops at every station and each stop is called.
The last out-bound trip leaves Erie Canal Harbor Station at 6:10p.m. For
Sabres games, and selected events at the First Niagara Center, a later train departs
the Events Only Station 30 minutes after the end of the event. The last #8 Main Metro Bus leaves
downtown at 12:40a.m. on Sunday nights.
The first car of every train is wheelchair accessible and equipped with tie-in devices. All ticket machines are wheelchair accessible as well. Riders with special needs can find more information here.
Free parking is available at University Station (600 spaces) and LaSalle
Station (800 spaces). Look for the designated areas.
• Take your bike on Metro Rail, as long as you observe the following rules:
• Riding bicycles in Metro Rail Stations or on Station property is strictly prohibited.
Please walk your bike in and around the stations.
• Station elevators must be used for getting your bike to and from train platforms.
Do not carry your bike up or down the stairs or on the escalators.
• When boarding a train in an underground station, enter the front door of any car.
If you are going downtown you should board the first car in order to take advantage
of the elevated platform when exiting.
• When boarding a train downtown in Buffalo Place, enter the front
door only of the first car using the elevated platform.
• Enter the rail car only after all other passengers have entered or exited the car.
• Only two bikes are permitted in each rail car, both at the forward
end of the car, in the area designated for wheelchairs. If this area is occupied,
please move to the next car or wait for the next train. If someone in a wheelchair
boards, please give up your space.
• Stand with your bike and do not leave it unattended for any reason; securely hold your bike
at all times; do not use the kick stand; and do not leave your bike in the aisle.
• Riders 15 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult.
• Above all, please be considerate of your fellow passengers
• As always, proof of fare payment is required.
• Bikes are allowed on Metro Rail at any time.